Saturday 12 March 2011

Life and Other Things We Take For Granted

It's almost one in the morning here, I can't sleep, I'm at my future brother-in-law's house, and my sister is getting married tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the main island of Japan (Honshu) is experiencing the wrath of Mother Nature. And apparently she's on her period. I have two friends that currently live in Japan, and then countless bloggers that I know of that call the Land of the Rising Sun their home. My heart goes out to all. It's hard to explain exactly how I feel. The Japanese language and all things Japan was kinda the gateway to the life that I'm leading right now, and in a sense, I feel a strange and awkward connection with the country. I'm like this with a lot of countries (seeing as I have many foreign and first-generation immigrant friends), but Japan especially tugs at my heart strings.

Currently, I feel this weird tension brewing. Part of me is incredibly happy right now, and then I remember the videos and photos that I've seen on the news. Floods of guilt soon follow. Here I am, sitting at a fancy computer all warm and mushy, whilst thousands in Japan are cold, confused, and hurting.

Ganbare, Nihon. I know your sun will never set.

1 comment:

  1. well written Adam. I am just watching today' update on the nuclear power plant - they are going to try a silt fence - like kind you would use in an oil slip. I didn't think radioactive shit was that big to stop like that but.

    Hope the guilts of being nice and warm and leading a normal life have gone. Mine are slowly :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete